05 May Good360 Joins a Global Movement for GivingTuesdayNow
One of the most remarkable effects of the COVID-19 pandemic has been a shared experience that has united virtually the entire planet.
The novel coronavirus has touched nearly every human being in some way or another. Of course, the human toll of the virus has been devastating, with more than 3.5 million people infected and at least 250,000 who have died from COVID-19.
But the world has also witnessed the courage of essential workers and medical personnel on the front lines, neighbors helping neighbors, and the collective will to stay home to help prevent more infections.
On Tuesday, May 5th, the world will come together once again for #GivingTuesdayNow, a new global day of giving and unity spearheaded by the GivingTuesday movement. Established in 2012, GivingTuesday normally happens on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. In 2019 alone, donors gave more than $511 million in the U.S. toward GivingTuesday-related causes.
While GivingTuesday will still take place on Dec. 1, 2020, #GivingTuesdayNow is meant to be an emergency response to the COVID-19 crisis.
“The day is designed to drive an influx of generosity, citizen engagement, business and philanthropy activation, and support for communities and nonprofits around the world,” the organizers said on their event page. “The world is in crisis and the very structures that counteract negative impacts of a pandemic and recession — community organizations and nonprofits — are overwhelmed. They need swift action to ensure they can continue to serve their communities.”
There are numerous ways to participate in #GivingTuesdayNow, including:
- Look for a local #GivingTuesdayNow event happening near you to support
- Give to your favorite cause or a fundraiser to help those in need including Good360 (donate here)
- Show gratitude to healthcare workers and other essential workers who are risking their lives to ensure that we’re all getting the services we need
- Commit to an act of kindness for your neighbors or community
- Use social media to spread the word, using the #GivingTuesdayNow
During this day of giving and generosity, please consider contributing to the work that Good360 has done in response to COVID-19. For every $1 donated to Good360, we are able to distribute at least $10 in needed goods.
As the pandemic has spread, we have turned our focus almost exclusively on COVID-related response and prioritizing initiatives that are helping healthcare workers get the supplies that they need and assisting vulnerable communities as they deal with the economic impact of this crisis. Here are a few highlights among the many donation events we have coordinated so far:
- Ship thousands of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) products, both domestically and internationally, in partnership with The UPS Foundation
- Coordinate the delivery of thousands of masks to healthcare workers at Tufts Medical Center in Boston
- Contribute diapers, wipes, Hasbro PlayRelief kits and personal care items (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc.) to be included in more than 4,000 care packages left for impacted residents in the hard-hit New York City region
- Donate N95 masks to Grady Hospital in Atlanta, thanks to the CarMax Foundation
- Partner with Toys for Tots to distribute more than 2 million toys and games to families in need during this uncertain time
- Join forces with the IRONMAN Foundation and Framebridge to turn more than 50,000 new and unused shirts into 500,000 non-sterile face masks and support the production of 100,000 acrylic face shields
That’s just a sample of what we’ve done. Just this week, Nike also announced a partnership with Good360 to distribute 30,000 pairs of Air Zoom Pulse shoes and 95,000 pairs of socks to healthcare workers.
For more information on our COVID-19 initiatives, visit our dedicated page: https://good360.org/coronavirus. We are still in critical need of the following items:
- N95 masks
- Tyvek coveralls
- Nitrile gloves
- Hand sanitizer
- Paper products
- Disinfectant wipes
- Home cleaning supplies
- Boredom breakers (board games, cards, coloring books)
- Education materials
For #GivingTuesdayNow, please consider contributing to our efforts to serve communities in need during this unprecedented crisis. As with all of our donations, we closely coordinate with our network of vetted nonprofit organizations to ensure that actual needs are being met, waste is minimized, and donated products go directly to those who need the assistance.
Help us deliver goods for the greater good. Donate now.